Anyone who undertakes a tour to the 10 highest mountains in Europe will not only find what they are looking for in the Alps, but can also travel across Europe from east to west. From the outermost border with Asia to the vicinity of Africa and in the direction of Southeast Europe, a journey leads through ten countries on the trail of the highest peaks in Europe.
From the east…
Which massif in Europe is the number 1 highest mountain in Europe? In the Russian Caucasus Mountains, a watershed forms the border between Asia and Europe. This makes Elbrus, which is only just north of the watershed in Europe – the “conical mountain” – with an impressive 5,642 meters, by far the highest peak in Europe. In ancient times, Elbrus was considered the penal prison of Prometheus, who brought fire to people.
… across the Alps…
In second place is the well-known Montblanc in the Savoy Alps in the French-Italian border area at 4,810 meters, with the French claiming ownership of the summit area. The “white mountain” is the highest mountain in the Alps and was conquered for the first time in 1786 by Jacques Balmat and Michel Gabriel Paccard. Its exact height was determined a year later by the naturalist Horace Bénédict de Saussure using a barometer. The Dufourspitze in the Monte Rosa massif on the border between Switzerland and Italy ranks third in the top ten at 4,634 meters and is also the highest mountain in Switzerland, which is very rich in high mountain ranges. The Dufourspitze was originally called the Gornerhorn, which roughly means “strong mountain”. Italy’s highest mountain is Gran Paradiso at 4,061 meters. It is ranked 4th of the 10 highest mountains in Europe and is located entirely on Italian soil in the nature reserve of the same name. Further east in Austria is number 5 of the highest peaks, the Großglockner, a three-thousand-meter peak at 3,798 meters.
… with a detour to the Canary Islands…
The Pico de Teide, an imposing mountain of volcanic origin, ranks sixth among the 10 highest mountains in Europe. On the nearby Canary Island of Tenerife, which belongs to Spain, the mountain rises 3,717 meters in height. It is the third highest volcano on an island in the world. The last eruption on the Teide massif took place in 1909.
… and to the south-east of Europe
The Pic de Coma Pedrosa, located in the Pyrenees in the small Principality of Andorra, occupies 8th place on the hit list of the highest mountains in Europe. It almost reaches the Zugspitze in the German Wetterstein Mountains, which at 2,962 meters make it 7th highest mountain in Europe. At 2,930 meters, the Musala in Bulgaria is the highest mountain in the Balkans and ranks ninth. Its name, which means “God’s praise”, was given to it by the Ottomans in the 15th century. The tenth and last summit of the 10 highest mountains in Europe, Mount Olympus in Greece, was, according to legend, the seat of the Greek gods and measures 2,911 meters.
- Africa Economy
- Bhutan Land of The Thunderdragon
- Botswana The Kingdom of The Elephants
- Central Asia Geography
- Denmark Travel Information
- European Parliament
- France Offers Pleasures
- History of Oceania
- Huge Russia Fascinates Tourists
- India Traditions
- Panama Two Oceans One Country
- Suriname As a Tourist Country
- Travel Destinations in Zambia
- Trinidad and Tobago Ideal for Beach Holidaymakers and Nature Lovers
- Types of Travel in Europe
- Zambia Natural Attractions
- Climate and Weather of Harar, Ethiopia September 27, 2022 - The climate of Harar Harar (also known as Harar Jugol) is located in western Ethiopia, in the Harari region. There are 99 mosques in Harar, all of which bear one… Read more
- Climate and Weather of Nampula, Mozambique September 20, 2022 - The climate of Nampula Nampula is located in the north of Mozambique, in the province of the same name of which it is also the capital. The city is not… Read more
- Climate and Weather of Cockburn Town, Turks and Caicos Islands September 13, 2022 - The climate of Cockburn Town Cockburn Town is the capital of the Turks and Caicos Islands and can be found on the island of Grand Turk. About four thousand people… Read more
- Climate and Weather of Bamburi Beach, Kenya September 6, 2022 - The climate of Bamburi Beach According to Bridgat, Bamburi Beach is located on the east coast of Kenya, just north of Mombasa. This popular holiday resort attracts many tourists every… Read more
- Climate and Weather in Akamas Peninsula, Cyprus August 23, 2022 - The climate of Akamas Peninsula According to bridgat.com, Akamas Peninsular or simply called Akamas is one of the few unspoilt coastal areas in Cyprus. For tourists who want to escape… Read more
- National Monuments in New Mexico August 16, 2022 - El Morro National Monument - New Mexico Carved in Stone - Inscription Rock According to act-test-centers, El Morro National Monument is located in western New Mexico State - USA -… Read more
- Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta August 9, 2022 - Atlanta Aquarium, the Georgia Aquarium, is the largest aquarium in the world, with more than 10 million liters of water and more than 100,000 creatures consisting of approximately 500 species.… Read more
- Egypt Fast Facts August 2, 2022 - For me, Egypt is one of the most culturally interesting countries on earth. Pharaohs, pyramids - I read a lot about them as a child and dreamed of visiting this… Read more
- Czech Republic Fast Facts July 26, 2022 - The Czech Republic is located in Central Europe between Germany, Poland, Slovakia and Austria. The country with its graceful castles and palaces, exciting local beers and a long history is… Read more
- Andorra Fast Facts July 19, 2022 - The small co-principality of Andorra is located in the east of the Pyrenees in a high valley and has borders with France and Spain. It is known above all for… Read more