Walt Disney Concert Hall (Los Angeles, USA) – repertoire, ticket prices, address, phone numbers, official website.
Flying steel is the best way to describe the building of the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. A cross between the Sydney Opera House and the Guggenheim Museum Bilbao, the building opened in 2003 and instantly became one of the city’s most recognizable landmarks. Today it is home to the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra and serves as a popular concert venue.
A bit of history
In 1987, the widow of Walt Disney, Lillian, expressed a desire to invest 50 million USD in the construction of a concert hall that could adequately perpetuate the name of her deceased husband. By 1991, the construction project was ready, and soon its construction began. However, it was soon suspended due to lack of funding – a modest first stage “ate” $ 110 million, half of which was forced to pay the municipality of Los Angeles. Finally, in 2003, the necessary funds were found, and the project was completed. See anycountyprivateschools for Alabama state information and business schools.
The unearthly construction of polished and brushed iron sheets made a lot of noise – and not at all because of its unusual appearance. The fact is that the reflective ability of the “stainless steel” did a disservice – it unbearably heated the sidewalks, so that pedestrians received burns, blinded drivers and shone through the windows of neighboring houses. As a result, the panels had to be sandblasted. But everyone unconditionally liked the interiors of the concert hall: the chief conductor of the Los Angeles Philharmonic enthusiastically announced that now the orchestra sounds exactly as one could imagine.
What to watch
To get a good view of the concert hall, it is worth joining an organized tour. During the one-hour walk, your guide will take you through the gardens that surround the building, explaining its architectural features, and then suggesting you go inside to view the magnificent foyer, floors and interior decoration. But you can only go into the hall far from always – at the usual time there are rehearsals, and access to curious tourists is closed.
Address and opening hours
Address: 111 South Grand Avenue, Los Angeles.
Tours with an audio guide are possible at any time from 10:00 to 14:00. Guided tours are held on certain days at 12:00 and 13:00. Their schedule can be found on the official website of the concert hall.
Mission San Diego de Alcala
Mission San Diego de Alcala (USA) – description, history, location. Exact address, phone number, website. Reviews of tourists, photos and videos.
San Diego de Alcalá was the first Franciscan mission in the province of Las Californias of the Viceroyalty of New Spain. It was founded in 1769 by the Spanish monk Junipero Serra on lands that belonged to the Kumeyaai Indians. Today, the mission is listed as a National Historic Landmark.
In 1834, the mission was confiscated, like all others, by a corresponding decree of the governor of Figueroa. Any local resident with enough money could buy the missionaries’ former property, so their lands quickly became ranches. The missions were bought mainly by former military officers who fought against Spain in the war of independence. And the mission of San Diego de Alcala in 1846 was given by Governor Pio Pico into the hands of Santiago Argüello for use by the state, and after the accession of California to the United States, it was used by the army until 1862.
In 1976, Pope Paul VI granted the local church the status of a minor basilica.
San Diego de Alcalá was in ruins when President Lincoln returned all missions to Catholics in 1862. In 1880, they began to restore it, but things moved slowly and at the beginning of the 20th century. froze until 1931.
Buried at the mission is “California’s first Christian martyr,” Father Luis Jaime. The unfortunate father was killed by the Indians, which was only the first of a series of similar incidents in Alta California of that period.
In 1941, the mission became a parish church and is still used as such. In 1976, Pope Paul VI granted the local church the status of a minor basilica. Today, the mission subsists partly on income from a small souvenir shop that is open here.
The mission is located within the current city, near the intersection of Interstate 8 and Interstate 15, about a mile and a half east of Qualcomm Stadium. The territory and buildings can be explored independently after a small donation.