According to homethodology, Linden, New Jersey is a city located in Union County. As of the 2010 census, the population was 40,499, making it one of the larger cities in the state. Linden is bordered by Elizabeth and Rahway to the north, Roselle and Cranford to the east, Union Township to the south and Clark Township to the west. The city has a humid subtropical climate with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Linden dates back to early colonial times when it was part of Elizabethtown. In 1861, Linden became an independent municipality and grew rapidly during World War I due to its proximity to Newark Airport and military bases nearby. The city’s economy is largely driven by manufacturing and retail as well as small businesses in warehousing/distribution centers.
Linden Public Schools encompass five elementary schools (K-5), two middle schools (6-8), one high school (9-12), an alternative school for high school students, a special education program for students with disabilities, and an adult education program. It also offers many extra curricular activities such as sports teams, clubs & organizations, music & theater programs, community service opportunities etc.
Notable landmarks include City Hall (the first building constructed when Linden became an independent city in 1861), St. John’s Lutheran Church (built in 1872) which is on both state & national registers of historic places; St George’s Episcopal Church (built in 1873); Whitehead Manufacturing Plant (built in 1876); Linden Fire Museum; Warinanco Park; Veterans Memorial Park; Nomahegan Park; etc. There are also several shopping malls & outlets located within a few miles of downtown Linden that offer great shopping opportunities for residents & visitors alike.
Population: 39,394. Estimated population in July 2020: 40,014 (+1.6% change)
Males: 18,703 (47.5%), Females: 20,691 (52.5%)
Median resident age: 38.0 years
Median household income: $46,345
Median house value: $148,800
Races in Linden:
- White Non-Hispanic (57.9%)
- Black (22.8%)
- Hispanic (14.4%)
- Other race (4.9%)
- Two or more races (3.7%)
- Asian Indian (0.9%)
- Filipino (0.7%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Polish (18.0%), Italian (10.3%), Irish (9.0%), German (6.8%), West Indian (4.4%), Portuguese (3.1%).
Elevation: 10 feet
Land area: 10.8 square miles
Linden, New Jersey is a small city located in Union County. According to the 2010 Census, the population of Linden was 40,499 and has grown by 8.3% since 2000. The racial makeup of the city is diverse, with a majority (68%) of residents being either African American or Hispanic. The median household income in Linden is $53,662 and the median home value is $234,085.
The cost of living in Linden is slightly higher than the national average. The cost of groceries, transportation and healthcare are all higher than the national average while housing costs are slightly lower than average. Renting an apartment in Linden can range from $800-$1,500 per month depending on location and size of the unit. Utility costs for heating and electricity are also slightly higher than average due to Linden’s colder climate during winter months. However, if you’re looking for a place to live that offers a diverse community and easy access to New York City without paying Manhattan prices, then Linden could be just what you’re looking for!
For population 25 years and over in Linden
- High school or higher: 78.2%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.5%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Linden city
- Never married: 29.6%
- Now married: 50.8%
- Separated: 2.2%
- Widowed: 9.7%
- Divorced: 7.7%
26.3% Foreign born (12.9% Europe, 10.8% Latin America).
Population change in the 1990s: +2,682 (+7.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Linden:
- RAHWAY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (about 3 miles; RAHWAY, NJ)
- TRINITAS HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; ELIZABETH, NJ)
- MUHLENBERG REGIONAL MED CTR (about 5 miles; PLAINFIELD, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Linden:
- NEWARK LIBERTY INTL (about 7 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: EWR)
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 18 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
- TETERBORO (about 21 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
Other public-use airports nearest to Linden:
- LINDEN (about 2 miles; LINDEN, NJ; Abbreviation: LDJ)
- NEWARK NR 1 (about 10 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Abbreviation: 3N4)
- MORRISTOWN MUNI (about 15 miles; MORRISTOWN, NJ; Abbreviation: MMU)
Amtrak stations near Linden:
- 6 miles: NEWARK INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (NEWARK, ). Services: ticket office, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones.
- 8 miles: METROPARK (ISELIN, 100 MIDDLESEX-ESSEX TPK.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, paid short-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 10 miles: NEWARK (RAYMOND PLAZA WEST). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/Universities in Linden:
- GENERAL TECHNICAL INSTITUTE-WELDING (Full-time enrollment: 20; Location: 1118 BALTIMORE AVE; Private, for-profit)
- HORIZON INSTITUTE OF PARALEGAL STUDIES (Location: 453 N WOOD AVE; Private, for-profit; Website: www.hips-inc.com)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Linden:
- UNION COUNTY COLLEGE (about 5 miles; CRANFORD, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,856)
- KEAN UNIVERSITY (about 5 miles; UNION, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 8,627)
- CUNY COLLEGE OF STATEN ISLAND (about 8 miles; STATEN ISLAND, NY; Full-time enrollment: 8,135)
- SETON HALL UNIVERSITY (about 8 miles; SOUTH ORANGE, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,509)
- RUTGERS UNIVERSITY-NEWARK (about 9 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,878)
- NEW JERSEY INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY (about 9 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,565)
- ESSEX COUNTY COLLEGE (about 9 miles; NEWARK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 5,893)
Public high school in Linden:
- LINDEN HIGH (Students: 1,776; Location: 121 W ST GEORGE AVE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Private high school in Linden:
- VICTORY CHRISTIAN SCHOOL (Students: 103; Location: 2301 GRIER AVENUE; Grades: PK – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Linden:
- MYLES J MCMANUS MIDDLE (Students: 815; Location: 300 EDGEWOOD RD; Grades: 06 – 08)
- JOSEPH E SOEHL MIDDLE (Students: 681; Location: COKE PLACE; Grades: 06 – 08)
- NUMBER 4 ANNEX (Students: 470; Location: 1602 DILL AVENUE; Grades: PK – 04)
- NUMBER 1 (Students: 374; Location: 728 NO WOOD AVE; Grades: 03 – 05)
- NO 10 HIGHLAND AVENUE (Students: 372; Location: 2801 HIGHLAND AVENUE; Grades: PK – 05)
- NUMBER 5 (Students: 363; Location: 1014 BOWER STREET; Grades: PK – 02)
- NUMBER 8 (Students: 360; Location: 500 W BLANCKE ST; Grades: PK – 05)
- NUMBER 9 DEERFIELD TERR (Students: 358; Location: DEERFIELD TERRACE & KENT PLACE; Grades: PK – 05)
- NUMBER 6 (Students: 343; Location: 19 E MORRIS AVE; Grades: PK – 05)
- NUMBER 2 (Students: 295; Location: 1700 SOUTH AVENUE; Grades: PK – 05)
Private primary/middle school in Linden:
- ST ELIZABETH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 472; Location: 170 HUSSA STREET; Grades: PK – 8)
Library in Linden:
- LINDEN FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $1,954,947; Location: 31 E. HENRY ST.; 102,561 books; 3,855 audio materials; 3,178 video materials; 241 serial subscriptions)