Not easy to find the perfect handbag! Here are some unbeatable tips to make sure to make a good purchase.
When looking for a handbag everyday, we want a model that reflects both our tastes and our needs, while possessing a maximum of qualities. Finally, we must not delude ourselves: quality has a price!It is better not to skimp on this aspect if you want to ensure a good longevity and a nice functionality.
Our ideal cosmetics bag
Soft leather cosmetics bag lined in Hbbltd, with magnetic closure, with five interior compartments and three pockets for cell phone, calculator and cosmetics.
- The comfortable width is about 2.5 cm.
- We try the bag on the shoulder to ensure that the straps hold well and that they are long enough to go with a jacket or a coat. Vinyl straps tend to slip.
- If we like to carry our bag in our hand, we look for short and comfortable straps, like those that are rounded.
- A lined belt must be sewn and not just glued.
- We like that the single strap fits like a belt.The belt clip
- Ideally, one looks for belts cut and formed in the same piece as the rest of the handbag, without attachment or sewing. Otherwise, to be solid, they must be retained by a good seam or a doubled and reinforced piece.
- The ring used as a seal must be well welded.
- The bags whose belts are riveted directly into the material are avoided. The weight of the contents of the bag may cause the walls to tear.The Matter
- The material used must be flexible, but not friable. If the leather or PVC is too rigid, it may crack, especially in the cold.
- If one chooses a leather model, one can recognize the quality of the material to the touch. On the back, the leather has a suede look. Many leather bags are not 100%. In this case, the belt, the underside, the sides and the inside are generally made of PVC.
- The canvas is a tough option, but you should know that it stains more easily than leather and PVC.The bellows
- We look for bellows sewn with the front and rear panels: those that are only glued will eventually open.
- Vinyl bellows are avoided if the bag is made of leather, otherwise they will wear out faster than the rest of the bag.The seams
- We are looking for double, stronger seams.
- The more seams there are, the greater the risk of breakage. To make sure they do not open, pull it lightly.
- Little bits of wire go over? It’s a bad sign!The format
- It all depends on our needs. At a minimum, we must be able to put our agenda and a novel.The bottom
- It should be reinforced by the inside or the outside: the bag will stand better, keep its shape longer and support its contents better.
- If you do not already have one, you can add plastic feet under the corners of our bag to prolong your life ($ 6 to $ 12 in total, at a shoemaker’s house).The Colour
- If we opt for color, we prefer the fabric or the leather since, under the effect of heat, colored PVC can rub on our clothes.The ornaments
- Beware of unnecessary buckles or many zippers, especially on the back of the bag: they may hang in our clothes and nylon stockings.The interior
- The strength of the lining is checked along the seams.
- A light colored interior is preferable because it allows to identify the contents of our bag at a glance.The compartments
- The ideal bag has at least one pouch and two sections inside, and a small pouch accessible from the outside.
- The compartments for the cellular and other independent pouches should be accessible from the inside or closed by a flap.
- Spaces for cards, check books, etc. should not be easily accessible.The clip
- The zipper in metal, well sewn to both ends.
- The magnetized loops. Contrary to popular belief, they do not demagnetize cards.
- The buckles that close like a belt, even if they are longer to handle. If they are suitable, ensure that the needle is solid and centered.It avoids:
- The velcro fasteners, which collect hair, foam and dust and quickly become ineffective.
- Snaps that force us to force them to close. Moreover, in the long run, the material often tears.Thanks to Julie Tremblay, manager of the Bentley store of the Promenades de l’Outaouais for her valuable advice.